Business After Hours with Dr. Michael Winter: Achieving Sustainable Aviation
  • Sale
  • Regular price $40.00

Join us for a presentation and discussion on sustainable aviation, featuring Dr. Michael Winter, Principal Fellow Advanced Technology, Pratt & Whitney.

Rescheduled to Thursday, June 20, 2024
5:30PM Reception
6:30PM Presentation
Tickets must be purchased in advance by June 5, 2024

As the Principal Fellow for Advanced Technology at Pratt & Whitney, Michael leads the company’s technology portfolio internally and represents it externally. In over 35 years with United Technologies Corporation, (UTC; now RTX), Michael has made numerous contributions in aerospace working with fuel cells, lasers, and combustion & propulsion systems. He has served as Corporate Director of Systems & Controls Engineering where he provided UTC’s business units with the Model-Based Digital Thread tools needed to deliver the complex cyber-physical systems at the core of safety-critical products. Click here for full biography.

Achieving Sustainable Aviation
Dr. Michael Winter Principal
Fellow Advanced Technology Pratt & Whitney

Emissions of CO2 from aircraft and engines occur predominately during their use; the release of carbon dioxide (CO2) from cradle-to-gate only comprises approximately 2% of emissions, with the remaining 98% being produced during operation. Additionally, over the last 85 years, continuing technology advancements have enabled engines to improve efficiency by 1-1.5% per year. Pratt & Whitney took the first step towards meeting the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) goals of carbon net zero by 2050 by developing and fielding the Pratt & Whitney GTFTM engine for single-aisle aircraft. The GTF engine’s advanced technology reduced fuel consumption by approximately 16%; oxides of nitrogen by 50% relative to the prior state-of-the-art engine, and Pratt & Whitney expects the benefit to impact all future large commercial aircraft. Over 80% of aircraft CO2 emissions are produced by > 1,500km, which will continue to rely upon gas turbine power. The next generation of gas turbine engines for commercial aviation will require a broad range of technologies and design methods to achieve the projected fuel burn including improvements in propulsive and thermal efficiency. Other disruptive concepts will be discussed including hybrid electric propulsion, sustainable aviation fuels and advanced thermodynamic cycles that rely upon combustion of hydrogen.