The Museum's History
Although the Connecticut Aeronautical Historical Society was founded in 1959, the Museum has been at its present location since 1981.
That year, the first of the Museum's existing six (6) buildings (Civilian, Military, 58th Bomb Wing Memorial, and Restoration Hangars and two storage buildings) was erected after a tornado destroyed the Museum's former location along Route 75 two years earlier.
Today, the Museum houses one of the world's most outstanding collections of historic aviation artifacts: more than 80 aircraft and an extensive collection of engines, instruments, aircraft parts, uniforms and personal memorabilia.
Within this collection are the last remaining four-engine American flying the Sikorsky VS-44A, donated by its previous owner, actress Maureen O'Hara and restored to original condition; an expertly restored B-29 Superfortress; Silas Brooks Balloon Basket (1870) believed to be the oldest surviving aircraft in the United States; the Bunce-Curtiss Pusher (1912), the oldest surviving Connecticut-built airplane; the Sikorsky S-39, the oldest surviving Sikorsky aircraft; and a Kaman K-225 helicopter, the oldest surviving Kaman-built aircraft.