Lawrance (Wright) J-1
The J-1 was designed by Charles E. Lawrance in response to a request by the U.S. Navy for an air-cooled 200 hp engine for its new shipboard aircraft. Approximately 250 J-1's were produced and primarily used in the Navy Curtiss TS-1 fighter. This was the first successful fixed radial air-cooled engine to be produced in the U.S. The museum engine was manufactured in 1921.
Lawrance Aero Engineering's limited production capacity motivated a merger with the Wright Aeronautical Corp. to expedite the completion of the J-1 production orders. Wright's top team of George Mead and Andrew Willgoos initiated design refinements which then brought about the development of the famous Wright Whirlwind J3-B through J-6 engines.
Meade and Willgoos left Wright in 1924 to design the first "Wasp" engine and help establish Pratt & Whitney Aircraft.
This engine is located in the connector between the Military and Civilian hangars.