Boeing 502 (T50) Cutaway
Representative of early small gas turbine technology, the 502 (military T50) turbo shaft engine is the result of work started in 1943 in answer to interest by the U.S. Army Air Force. It became operational in 1947 and was used in a variety of experimental applications, including light helicopters, boats and trucks. It also powered the world's first turbine helicopter, a Kaman K-225, in 1951. Its major use, however, was in the Gyrodyne QH-50C drone helicopter of the US Navy.
The cut-away on display was built by Boeing and shows a typical 502. Different models produced from 200 to 350 hp at 36,000 to 38,000 rpm. By the end of production in April, 1968 nearly 2,500 engines had been built.
This engine is located in the Military Hangar near the Kaman K-225.